Project/Organization Name: JGJ MobiApp (JagoGrahakJago Mobile App)
Initiated by: Consumer Voice
About the project: VoiCE/NCH is working for consumer education and empowerment. It has been advising consumers in how to get redressal for their complaints against faulty products or services. A call centre has been established with a toll free number (1800-11-4000) to receive calls on every topic of consumer issue be it education, products or services, property transfers, real estate, consumer courts, it & telecom, financial services, food or drugs etc.
Consumer is advised to approach the concerned organization. If problem remains unsolved within specified time frame, then consumer is advised to approach the regulatory authorities existing in different sectors. As last option, consumer advised to file case in consumer courts.
Consumers can also access these services through website online complaints as well as SmS (8800939717). Voice/NCH operates from 9:30 AM- to 5:30 PM, Monday to Saturday.
Scope of case study: As a consumer movement it involves, advocacy, involvement in policy making with Govt. and regulators, policy implementation, supervision, involvement with industry on standards and grievance redressal.
- The scope of this kind of services are in building consumer awareness to strengthen the rights of consumers
- Adopting managerial practices for institutionalizing consumer movement and make itself self-sustainable.
- To further enhance the technical competence within the policy makers and consumer organizations.
- Developing the market place in the best interest of the consumers and their right to be heard.
- Sensitizing national standards bodies, policy makers on up gradation of national standards / policy changes. So far this process was being managed through a call center, website, e-mail and SmS. Complaints are being received for consumers (pan-india) through any one of above mediums and advice is provided for how to get the grievance redressed through any one of these mediums.
Value proposition: VoiCE/NCH does not accept commercial donations or advertisements to maintain its independence. NCH has a toll free number 1800-11- 4000, 011-27006500 (normal call charges) SMS number 8800939717 and website www.nationalconsumerhelpline.in for consumers pan India to call and get guidance and log in complaints.
Characteristics/uniqueness: A Public Service project now supported by Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
- National Consumer Helpline (NCH), is a part of the “JagoGrahakJago” campaign and is being supported by the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- NCH is now managed by University of Delhi in the premises of Delhi School of Economics.
- NCH was started 8 years from now – on World Consumer Rights Day i.e. 15th March 2005.
- Since inception NCH handles 6,34, 092 cases till 30th April 2013
Learning from the Project: To provide telephonic advice, information and guidance to empower Indian consumers and persuade businesses to reorient their policies and management systems to address consumer concerns and grievances adopting world class standards.
VOICE/NCH focuses on educating and spreading awareness among consumers through Monthly magazine – ‘Consumer Voice’, Workshops and Road shows, different Outreach programmes run in the schools, colleges and RWAS etc and interaction with other CAGS / consumer groups etc.
VOICE/NCH also analyses the consumer data and do comparative testing or products and services in regularly in order to provide satisfactory redressal to the complaints provided with advices on purchase of the products and services.
A major impact of consumer complaints involves increase in the value of goods and services.
Issues & Challenges: The main challenge was to make consumers appreciate that it is only an advisory service, cannot solve their problem. Increasing number of users create the need for an auto-responsive system to the database. Voice/NCH is a advisory platform which has to deal with the advices given in the Indian context specially rural market and not only that it has to always provide the services based on the technology prevalent in most of the consumer markets in India.
Moreover in a country of diverse culture, developing applications in different Indian languages, scripts and functionalities is also a challenge.
Project/Organization URL: www.nationalconsumerhelpline.in